Who are the Scholar Ambassadors?
Scholar Ambassadors are current UMBC students who receive a scholarship: General Merit, Scholar Programs, and everything in-between! Ambassadors are positive and enthusiastic members of the community who want to engage with current students and share their experience with the public. Prospective Scholar Ambassadors are expected to be in good academic standing.
Scholar Ambassadors assist UMBC’s Merit Scholarship Unit in recruiting new scholars and growing the scholars community among current students. They are important and vital members of the UMBC community who support scholarship programs and campus-wide special requests. The members’ main priorities are to serve on student panels, attend receptions, plan social events, participate in online chats, and act as UMBC liaisons.
What is expected of a Scholar Ambassador?
Each Scholar Ambassador is expected to participate in university scholarship programming and events such as Scholar Selection Day and Scholar Visit Days; as well as community and social outreach programs for current students. Scholarship Ambassadors are expected to attend training/regularly scheduled meetings and to read/respond to email communication. The commitment is approximately 10-15 hours per semester.
Why should YOU join the Scholar Ambassadors?
- You’ll become part of a prestigious and elite group of student leaders, developing invaluable experience in public speaking and diplomacy!
- You can strengthen your communication and public relations skills!
- Get involved and network with other students, staff members, and potential employers!
- Build your resume! Showcase your leadership skills and stand out to potential donors and employers!
- You’ll be given the chance to learn more about UMBC, get to know faculty/staff members, prospective/current students, families and more!
- Free UMBC ambassador gear!
How do I join the Scholar Ambassadors?
The first step is to complete an online application. We will then contact students whom we would like to interview.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 410-455-1310.